Dutch Society of Lifestyle Medicine Foundation
The Dutch Society of Lifestyle Medicine Foundation is a Dutch foundation that aims to:
- Promoting Lifestyle Medicine in the Netherlands, both in preventive and curative healthcare;
- The prevention, treatment and/or complete reversal of lifestyle-related diseases by providing (or arranging for) the provision of medical specialist care and the therapeutic use of evidence-based nutritional and lifestyle interventions, such as switching to a predominantly unprocessed and plant-based diet, regular exercise, improving sleep and reducing stress, and equipping people with the right knowledge and life skills for effective behavior change to address the root causes of health problems;
- Promoting first-line and specialist medical care in the field of nutrition and lifestyle for people with overweight, obesity, type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, sedentary behavior and/or a wheelchair-bound existence, and providing care for and /or participate in training in that area;
- Reducing alcohol and tobacco use
Since June 18, 2018, the Dutch Society of Lifestyle Medicine Foundation has an admission permit Wtza (formerly WTZi) and is registered in the CIBG register. The Foundation is not a government body.
A world in which lifestyle medicine is the basis of health and all healthcare
Advancing applicable evidence-based lifestyle interventions in healthcare to treat, reverse and prevent non-communicable chronic diseases
What is Lifestyle Medicine?
Lifestyle Medicine is the therapeutic use of evidence-based nutritional and lifestyle interventions, such as switching to a predominantly unprocessed and plant-based diet, reducing sedentary behavior, regular exercise, improving sleep, and reducing stress. These treatments aim to prevent, treat or in many cases completely reverse lifestyle-related diseases. It equips individuals with the right knowledge and life skills for effective behavior change to address the root causes of health problems.
Lifestyle medicine: sustainable health & healthcare
The enormous increase in chronic diseases and the associated health costs, in the Netherlands and in many other countries around the world, is unsustainable. For example, type 2 diabetes is a looming global pandemic, the consequences of which are incalculable. The Netherlands already has more than 900,000 people with diabetes, and about 75,000 new diabetes patients are added every year (which is comparable to a full Amsterdam Arena). Lifestyle medicine is therefore essential for sustainable health and healthcare.
- Overweight, obesity
- type 2 diabetes
- High bloodpressure
- Heart and vascular disease
- Rheumatoid arthritis
Lifestyle Rx: the magazine for lifestyle medicine
Since 2018, the Dutch Society of Lifestyle Medicine Foundation has started publishing the ' 'Tijdschrift voor LeefstijlMedicine '' (Lifestyle as Medicine).
This popular magazine was renamed Lifestyle Rx (Leefstijl opprescription) in 2023, and is part of the foundation's objectives to bring Lifestyle Medicine to the attention of the Dutch population. The contents of the texts are in line with the most up-to-date scientific literature and are intended for both consumers and healthcare professionals.
- 2023 | Lifestyle Rx Magazine ISSN 2950-2837
- 2019 | Journal of Lifestyle Medicine ISSN 2665-9147
- 2018 | Handbook of Lifestyle Medicine ISBN 9789082059977
The Dutch Society of Lifestyle Medicine foundation wants to take an anchored place in society with the concept of The Lifestyle Docs .
- The Lifestyle Docs Clinics responds to the need for high-quality, safe, effective, evidence-based medical lifestyle treatments in a model of appropriate care. To become the largest, most specialized, independent clinic in the Netherlands for the treatment of adults and children with overweight, type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular and other lifestyle disorders
- The Lifestyle Docs Academy responds to the need for quality, high-quality education and certification, as an advocate for its members with their individual practices and as support in the collective mission to promote lifestyle medicine in the Netherlands and worldwide as the first and most optimal treatment option (firstline treatment) in chronic lifestyle-related disorders
- The Lifestyle Docs wants to contribute to cheaper and sustainable care in order to achieve sustainable health gains and to prevent and, where necessary, treat and reverse the underlying cause of chronic lifestyle-related diseases.